If you’re stuck at work without a meal, it can be difficult to your M3 Pledge. We want you to stick to your Mediterranean Diet, so we prepared a few recipes you can make at home and take them with you to the office.
- 2 loaves pita bread
- Olive oil
- ½ tsp sumac
- 1 heart of Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 5 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 5 radishes, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves, stems removed
- 1½ lime, juice of
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp ground sumac
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- Toast the pita bread in your toaster oven until it is crisp but not browned. Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan. Break the pita bread into pieces, and place in the heated oil. Fry briefly until browned, tossing frequently. Add salt, pepper and ½ tsp of sumac. Remove the pita chips from the heat and place on paper towels to drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions with the sliced radish and parsley.
- To make the lime vinaigrette, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil and spices in a small bowl.
- Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and toss lightly. Finally, add the pita chips and toss one more time. Transfer to small serving bowls or plates. Enjoy!
Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about one large lemon)
- 12 ounces of your favorite pasta
- Zest from one lemon
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives sliced in half
- ½ cup grape tomatoes cut in half
- ½ cup red onions chopped
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper (about one medium pepper)
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts drained, stems left on and quartered the long way
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- In a medium sauté pan over a low flame, add oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper and cook slowly for about 8 minutes or until the garlic just begins to brown.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice. Set this mixture aside.
- Start cooking the pasta per the box directions but cook just slightly under cooked.
- While the pasta is cooking, start preparing the remaining ingredients.
- When the pasta is just a little under done, remove to a colander and drain but do not rinse.
- Place cooked drained hot pasta in a large bowl and add the flavored oil and lemon juice mixture. Stir and let sit at room temperature for a few minutes.
- Add all other prepared ingredients except feta and stir. Refrigerate until chilled then stir in the feta and serve.
- 2 large romaine hearts, washed and chopped
- 1 cup pulled cooked chicken breast
- 1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3/4 cup sweet corn (I grilled mine)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/3 cup cilantro, washed and chopped
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup BBQ dressing, if desired
- In a large bowl add lettuce, top with all ingredients except for avocado and BBQ dressing. Toss salad gently.
- Place into cold salad bowls. Garnish with diced avocado and drizzle with BBQ dressing if desired. Serve with low-fat corn tortilla strips.